Go green initiative to reduce paper usage on campus
As a student , I use lot of paper on a daily basis , taking class note, term paper , exam paper, handout and etc. And every semester , I used tons of papers and by the end of semester I have boxes of paper compiled up ,that consist of files from school, personal stuff, receipts and bank statements, etc. If there is one thing that I should do to live more greenly is to reduce paper usage in the university and my personal life.
Another aspect that I want to reduce the paper usage is to simplify my life, I would like to reduce the time that I spend on filing, storing , and search for file. In this new information age, we have access to so many materials but we have little space or room to store all the materials. Digital technology might be the solution to some of the problem, but not all.
Why does it matter to reduce paper use ?
○ Paper industry contribute to air and water pollution that are detrimental to our health, and tree are cut down to produce paper. Although some paper mill have planted their own trees to produce paper, the act reduces deforestation but fast growing trees in the area absorb all the nutrient out of soil and disrupts the ecosystem in the area.
○ According to the study by the energy information administration, a division of the U.S Department of Energy," the paper industry emits the fourth highest level of carbon Dioxide among manufacturers, after the chemical, petroleum and coal products, and primary metals industries. "
○ According to the Forestry Stewardship Council (FSC), the U.S. alone manufactures 90 million tons of paper each year, and the annual consumption rate is about 100 million tons. Most of this paper production—an estimated 25% of the annual U.S. timber cut—remains virgin fiber, with only 35% of current consumption using recycled fiber.
○ Living sustainably is part of our responsibility to contribute to save the earth
○ Environmental issue need to be taken seriously, think about our health and providing a safer and greener world for future generation
what do i see in Fredonia campus?
○ Our school has place the course catalog Online
○ The Printer is set default to print on both sides
○ Recycle paper cabinet place in the library encourage student to recycle paper
○ Magazine swap available at the William center
○ Bring you own cup for coffee to save money at coffee shop on campus
○ Library- database journals online
○ Black board - media of communication for student and faculty member
Be the change
Little things that you do MATTERS!
Student action steps
○ Pdf audio , think before you print
○ Bring you own coffee mug
○ Switch to Online e - statement
○ Buy eBooks save you money, accessible from anywhere
○ Set up recycling bin in your own apartment , take the initiative
○ Read newspaper and magazine online , order online magazine instead of printed magazine
○ While dining - Napkins (take only what you need)
○ Doing research, use print to PDF instead of print it out
○ Using OneNote to collect information and organize all information
○ Scanner and recycled paper every semester -save space
○ When print reduce Font size
○ Textbook check this site out : swap used book or DVDs , save tree and save money Website : http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
○ Purchased recycled print paper
○ Advocate buying recycled products
Faculty action steps
○ Advocate Paperless Textbook, student can purchase book or single chapter for less cost Website: http://www.zinio.com
○ Web 2.0 -collaboration with student , use of blogger, face book, YouTube
○ Blackboard-post notes online , quiz online student can access to
○ Scanner and store files , eliminate paper clutter in the office
○ Recycle all paper files end of the semester
They switch to electronics……….
○ Government budget of 2009
○ Medical patient record
§ E- magazine
§ Reader prefer
§ Kindle reader kindle dx
§ Sony e-reader
○ Journal writing -blog
○ Note taking -OneNote -just like paper
○ Tablet PC- writing, meeting note taking
○ "Students benefit by saving money on over 6,000 college textbooks and obtaining online access to their textbooks, anywhere - any time - all without long lines at the register. Students can take advantage of a smarter way to learn with search capabilities, highlighting, note taking features and more"
○ One line eBook- "Project Gutenberg is the place where you can download over 30000 free eBooks to read on your PC, phone, Kindle, Sony Reader".
Go green initiative ideas basket
○ End of the semester recycle paper events
○ Going paperless teaching on earth day
What you do matters , to realize it is important. For my personal experience , I was doubtful that I think that what I do is insignificant to change the world. But now I have be more involved with this project , listening to the speakers talking about environmental issues, the more I realized that what I do makes a differences.
I believe that if all of us are taking this topic of environmental issue seriously , and make little change with our lifestyle, we together will bring changes in the word , changes that we want to see. The change start from us ….
This week's question
Do you think a paperless society will be a reality in the future ?
For more information:
Environmental Protection Agency: http://www.epa.gov/jtr/comm/paper.htm
Forest Stewardship Council: http://fscus.org/paper/common_vision.php